Questions about the mid-game buddy carousel

Oblivion

Questions about the mid-game buddy carousel

Post by Oblivion » 2018-03-14 0:29

Having hit level 52 and 191k reputation, I suppose I've reached the mid-ish game and am becoming increasingly confused by the buddy system - specifically by which buddies I should have in my party and be working on leveling and improving, and when I should replace them. At present, my team consists of Norns, Ajani, and Lisa, with Ronny leveling up ever so slowly because I keep getting battleaxes and she had a giant red "Advised" on her picture in the tavern. I haven't spent anything on this game as of yet, so I don't have Flora or Little Athena, or any heavy hitting angels.

I'm aware of the basic gist from here (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7447&p=14567&hilit=buddy&sid=add2a87b03ae133dc66c401f764b393b#p14567) sort of leading into the endgame, but am still having difficulty figuring out how I get from where I'm at to there.

I know Lea's the first big "Must have" in every guide, but where does she fit in to my team? Who does she replace?

Zephyrtail and Diana are both listed as "Advised" in the tavern. Should I grab either of them? If so, where do they fit in?

At what point, and with whom, do I replace Norns?

When do I start to put more than basic level potions and leveled gear on buddies?

Apart from the list in that link (Lea, Tia, Aileen, Lacus, etc), are there any others I should keep an eye out for?

Sorry for the question dump, but I've been trouble finding specific answers to those specific questions. If anyone can provide any answers, or point me to somewhere that has them, I'd be truly grateful.

HakilErica

Re: Questions about the mid-game buddy carousel

Post by HakilErica » 2018-03-15 1:16

I think you're still a bit early for mid-game, since youre only about 10% of the way to using Sanctuary buddies.

Lea would best replace Ronny (single-target warrior for single-target warrior,) but Ajani has no Temples, so she's probably longer in the tooth.

Generally it will advise you to take units can be advanced in the Temple of Light, but not always. Zeph can probably be skipped. Diana can stun/rage-reduce a file, has a True form, and uses spell damage, but I ended up choosing not to take the time on her.

Noms' direct replacement is Zyra at 560k. If you aren't interested in maintaining the stunning-attack-all-mage role for a while, you could grab Winterblow and work the cleric-mage role (Winterblow-Moongrace-Miranda-Hathor) in the meantime (so you don't have to worry about changing offsensive gear.)

I didn't find Tia or Aileen worthwhile, because they didn't fit into how I was planning to build the team. (Nor did I grab Elpis or Lacus, but I did consider an Elpis/Lacus/Vanessa/Hathor team... so many special attacks...) The angels are available to F2P, you just have to pile-up the World Boss kills, in which case Archangel has some definite utility (including entertainment value to the other players if you let his special pop during a Boss match :)

Oblivion

Post by Oblivion » 2018-03-15 3:39

Thanks for the reply!

That's fair. As I said, I'm still kind of fumbling my way around, so I don't really know when I hit the middle and end of this story. Evidently, there's a crapton more on the back end than I was remotely aware.

Since yesterday, I managed to get to 55 and snag Lea, and was actually already swapping Ajani out for her, because I was still leveling Ronny and thought I might still get some use out of Lisa (until the point when I find a different multi-target assassin down the road, perhaps...or at least figure out what I want to do with my team).

That's good to know. I was wondering what its criteria for advising was.

Huhm... I may grab Winterblow and level her up while I'm working on Lea and Ronny, then (if I'm already raiding to level two up, what's a third?).

I'll just treat the angels as P2P for now, then. Angel-killing isn't in my cards just yet. Maybe at some point, but not yet.

HakilErica

Post by HakilErica » 2018-03-16 2:12

[quote="Oblivion"]

Since yesterday, I managed to get to 55 and snag Lea, and was actually already swapping Ajani out for her, because I was still leveling Ronny and thought I might still get some use out of Lisa (until the point when I find a different multi-target assassin down the road, perhaps...or at least figure out what I want to do with my team).

[/quote]

Lisa can be trued in the Temple of Light, and is [among, if not] the cheapest to do so, which helps extend her utility a bit further. If you just like hiring & leveling buddies, Swallow is up at 400k, but after that is only Dannirecchio (attack surrounding, not technically all) at 640k. Otherwise, the only other pre-Sanctuary-attack-all is Vanessa (a warrior) and a pair of mages.

EDIT: One side-note, is that you can always use the Land of Chaos to let the buddies use their specials on you, so you can shop around much more effectively than the skill previews (when available.)

Garen

Post by Garen » 2018-03-20 19:06

if you want to replace follow it.
Norns change to = Zyra , Why? zyra can be true zyra and have more stats than norns , and its have more chance to stun
Ronny change to = Lee, why? ronny can be true only 1 time ,lea can be true 2x , true lee and extrema lee (great skill) chance combo with decide skill i have do 4 consec attacks lv 130
Lisa change to = single DPS, lisa attack all , no good dmg it's work only low lv 70 lower , 70++ is good 1-2 single DPS with some effect(stun..decrease def..etc..)
Ajani chang to = Frigga or Elps , can be true form and have greatly dmg and attributes. of course , good skill :D frigga can hit 3 times and Elphis can hit row

if you want to know more about some buddy tell me.

BOQ Garen S137 Lv 119
Chinese Garen S8 Lv200

HakilErica

Post by HakilErica » 2018-03-30 4:23

[quote="Garen"]Ajani chang to = Frigga or Elps , can be true form and have greatly dmg and attributes. of course , good skill :D frigga can hit 3 times and Elphis can hit row

[/quote]

Frigga can [currently] max at 4 hits with chance for a 5th (before considering pursuit,) but she's in Sanctuary. Elpis is right before it, and Lacus isn't too much earlier either, so they will be hurting if still on Ajani that late.

If sticking with rangers, Senna might be a tolerable option for her attack row with rage-down, but no advancement option.

A little later on is Nancy, with her single-target enchantment attack, but also no advancement options.

Finally, there is Belle, with her stunning-attack-last-in-row (basically a buddy that does Chaos Shooting,) but no advancement. Her bigger problem is how close she is to the near-Sanctuary buddies, so depending on how rapid your rep flow is by that point, she can be easy to skip.

Oblivion

Post by Oblivion » 2018-04-11 19:02

Alright, so now I'm almost level 94 with ~786k reputation, and things are going pretty well. My current team consists of Extreme Lea, True Zyra, True Ronny, and True Lisa. I've even managed to get 13 Covenants off of world boss kills, though I'm not really sure what I want to do with them yet. I'm also really not sure where I want my team to go from here, beyond being able to reach higher numbers on world bosses, continue to kill stuff, and hold my own against other players on other servers (I've actually somehow managed to reach #7 on S150). I suppose my next move may be to replace Ronny with Aileen, but beyond that I'm really rather vague on who comes up when and what sort of advancement potential they have.

@Garen (though of course HakilErica can weigh in if she wants): If I do replace Lisa with someone who does single target, who would you suggest? As it stands now, I'm not seeing anyone who stands out, particularly when you consider that Lisa can (and has already done so) reach "True" status.

HakilErica

Post by HakilErica » 2018-04-13 20:07

First off, good to hear things are starting to roll. I would play the long-game, and hold the CoGs until you can at least get the 20 for Archangel. However, depending on how active your server is, it may be better to just sell them now and re-farm once the World Boss Protection Act is repealed.

Nancy is 2-levels up from where you are now, with Aileen right after. Beyond that, none of the buddies can be run through the Temples until Tia at 24 (1.2M,) on-level with the last [pre-Sanctuary] cleric Miranda, followed by Lacus. In between are some buddies that have purposes, but will depend on how you want to build your team.

I already weighed-in on my suggested replacements for Lisa (if you feel the need) :)

Oblivion

Post by Oblivion » 2018-04-20 16:46

Just a repost to get it past the spam (with an addition below):

So my reputation skyrocketed yesterday. Got married and burned my entire stash of flowers (more than 257k reputation worth), and I'm now under 30k away from being able to get Tia. I did get Aileen, who's been trued, and is around level 65 (She'd be higher, but I forgot to put her in my group before I burned the xp I stockpile between barbecue events). I think the toughest problem I'm having is still figuring out how to go from a group of five buddies to an actual team that can accomplish anything. I've been looking at the cross-server assortments from conquests and sanctuary battles for ideas, but haven't really come across anything concrete.

"World Boss Protection Act"? I don't think I've heard of that. I do think I'm going to hold on to the CoGs I have, though. It's generally some assortment of the same five or six people each world boss, but it's been getting more difficult to get the last hit, at least for now. The prospect of trying to fight for it between five and twenty more times seems much more palatable than twenty to thirty.

I'll add that I'm now up to 21 CoGs, so that's not going terribly. I'm just trying to figure out who to use and where to fit them right now, given I only have so many spots. If I actually follow through on my inclination to take advantage of the next event that gives me the best bang for my buck (though I'm not sure which one that would be to put down $10 on this game, that's only going to get more difficult.

Ahwell. Guess that's what makes it strategic.

HakilErica

Post by HakilErica » 2018-04-22 18:50

Okay, time to accept it ate my original response... and I'm not re-typing all that, so cliff notes version:

Existential crisis of what you want your team to do means you're reaching mid-game.

Pick a path:

Smash - terrible choice for F2P, because someone else can always come along with a bigger rock, and it will often be at the end of long pointy stick. However, your update notes you are getting rid of that shackle.

Power puzzle - find a synergistic combination that works for you a ride it.

Adaptive counter - takes more buddies and a lot more work, but can let you get a little further than a single trick.

Beyond that depends on your personality and preferences:

Which class do you self-identify with and want your main to play?

Do you build with a primus main or power-buddy?

How important is winning now versus building up to your goal?

Preferred build style? (sustain/attrition? subvert? divide & conquer? classic fantasy?)